Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Today's Mountain Biking Adventure

This post should really be a race report of New Orleans 70.3 (which is coming soon), but instead I'm going to recap today's mountain biking adventure.


I use the term mountain biking loosely, as we were really just riding up and down the C&O canal towpath on mountain bikes. While we frequently run on the towpath, we don't bike it very often but today reminded me that I need to do this more, especially at these perfect times of year when its just beautiful. Today was the perfect day for it- overcast with a slight intermittent drizzle, which means that not a lot of people would be out riding, running, or hiking. As a result, all of the animals were out! We saw baby geese, deer, blue herons, and ducks.  Of course, this also meant it would be a very wet, muddy ride.


Within the first 3 miles we passed by several families of geese. The babies were so tiny, and would scurry into the grass at the side of the canal as we came riding by, while both parents would simultaneously hiss at us. Most of the families had just 3-5 chicks, but one family had about 12!! Chris got a video of them as we rode by:


We then explored a fun side trail that was beautiful, though ultimately pretty short.


I think we hit the canal at peak bloom for the flowers. They were amazing! And everything was so green and the air smelled like spring.



I think we were out there about 2.5 hours and it went by in a flash. It was one of the most fun rides I've had in awhile (probably since last riding SkyMass!)


I still have not been able to get all the specks of mud out of my eyes... always the sign of a good ride!!





1 comment: