Thursday, May 20, 2010

Why I Tri- and Blog

I've been an athlete since childhood, taking on backpacking trips with my parents since the age of 3, gymnastics, basketball, softball, and cross country running in middle school, competetive running in high school and college, and triathlon since 2003. I have always loved being active and healthy but in 2004, soon after getting into serious triathlon training had my first ever athletic injury, and had a string of injuries over the next four years. During this time I was able to compete minimally, but learned what a gift it is to be active and healthy, and that my time spent being active and healthy should not only serve myself, but others. After spending 4 months on crutches for a hip stress fracture in 2007, and in that down time having the awesome experience of travelling to rural Ethiopia with a medical missions team, I got connected with a talented and caring physical therapist who helped me through my hip injuries that prevented me from running and a shoulder injury that prevented me from swimming. In early 2009 I was able to finally start training for triathlon at the level I knew I was capable of. God has brought me through serious injury to compete again in a sport I love, and has given me the passion I have for a reason- still trying to find exactly what my purpose is in the sport and how I can best serve, but I am thankful for every minitue of it, for the great friends I have met through it, and the way I need to rely on God for every single challenging workout and race. This year I am focusing my efforts on Team World Vision, encouraging everyone to consider sponsoring a child through World Vision and the incredible difference this will make in the life of a child in rural Africa! I started blogging this year to be able to share my triathlon & life experiences with all who are interested. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment